We are currently building a Gazetteer about the engravers, printers, and makers of ceramics mentioned in this online exhibition. Click on the first letter of the surname you are looking for, if the name isn't in the list, check back again we will be updating this section regularly.

 

A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

Chetham family & Partners (Maker)

Printer-friendly versionSend by email

chetham factoryThe Chetham family were involved in the pottery industry from the end of the 18th century. The firm of (James) Chetham & (Richard) Woolley was established c.1795. After James’ death in 1807 his wife Ann (Nee Woolley) continued the business with her brother.  The factory was in Commerce Street, Longton and remained a working pottery and still stands today as a restored grade II listed building.

In 1809, Richard Woolley left the partnership to work on his own account and Ann Chetham continued alone until 1814 when she was joined by her son, Jonathan Lowe Chetham who was then aged about 18.  When his mother died in 1821 Jonathan Lowe Chetham looked for a business partner and in 1822 was joined by John Robinson, and later, in 1834 by John’s son Samuel Robinson.  The firm continued as Chetham and Robinson until the death of John Robinson in 1840, when it appears Samuel withdrew from the firm. Jonathan Lowe Chetham continued alone from 1841 until his death in 1861 when he was succeeded by his three sons,  John Robert and Frederick who traded as J. R. & F. Chetham until their partnership was dissolved in 1870 and they were succeeded by Herbert Aynsley.

Although the Chetham factory may be better known for its dry bodied stonewares, transfer printed pottery was made from at least 1805 until the company’s demise in 1870.

Click here for Chetham & Robinson wares on this site