We are currently building a Gazetteer about the engravers, printers, and makers of ceramics mentioned in this online exhibition. Click on the first letter of the surname you are looking for, if the name isn't in the list, check back again we will be updating this section regularly.

 

A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

George Phillips (Maker)

Printer-friendly versionSend by email

PhillipsGeorge Phillips began in business with his older brother Edward. They are first recorded as potters in 1822 and the Burslem land tax assessments for that year they were renting a pottery and a house in Longport, a suburb within the township of Burslem. Longport had developed alongside the wharf of the Trent and Mersey Canal and included several manufactories, an inn and the homes of workers and pottery owners. It was a community well placed for exporting goods to America via Liverpool and most of the neighboring potteries were engaged in the transatlantic trade. The brothers made a wide range of pottery including inexpensive plain creamware, blue and green edged ware with a variety of molded edge designs, and transfer-printed ware in many patterns.

In September 1831, Edward Phillips was killed on the road as he and his family were going to the USA. The pottery business continued as Edward & George Phillips until June 1834 when the local newspaper announced the formal ending of the partnership which had continued with Edward’s widow.  The notice confirmed that the business would be carried on by George Phillips.  George continued the pottery business, expanding the range as new kinds of pottery became popular with consumers.  But he too died an untimely death, at the age of 45, in June 1847.  In early 1848 his factory and house were auctioned, followed by the sale of his utensils and engravings”suitable for the American trade”. 

For objects made by Phillips in the exhibit click here