We are currently building a Gazetteer about the engravers, printers, and makers of ceramics mentioned in this online exhibition. Click on the first letter of the surname you are looking for, if the name isn't in the list, check back again we will be updating this section regularly.

 

A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

Don Pottery (Maker)

Printer-friendly versionSend by email

The Don Pottery was established in 1801 by John and William Green.  John had formerly been a partner in both the Leeds and Swinton potteries and the products of the Don Pottery were influenced by his experiences at Leeds.It was one of the largest of the Yorkshire potteries situated on the bank of the Don canal on the boundary between Swinton and Mexborough also notable for pottery production.

In the first decade of the 19th century pearlware was introduced and became a staple product of the factory with a wide range of underglaze blue and overglaze black printed wares being produced.  As well as black prints that were complete in themselves, some prints provided the basis for additional enamel painted decoration that produced a range of brightly coloured wares. Less common are the underglaze black with earthy tones of underglaze painted decoration.

Business declined in the 1830s and the Greens were declared bankrupt in 1834 and the pottery advertised for sale. Many moulds and patterns were purchased by other local potteries and re-used.  In 1839, Samuel Barker who owned the Mexborough Pottery, purchased Don Pottery, both potteries were run by him until 1848 when production was centred on the Don Pottery site. In 1882, it was rented out to other partners, although it still traded as Samuel Barker & Sons. The pottery closed in 1893 when all the stock was sold to pay overdue rent.

To see Don Pottery in the exhibit click here

Reference
Griffin, John D. 2001. The Don Pottery, 1801-1893. [Doncaster, England]: Doncaster Museum Service.